A word on the new owners

Well, one of the worst kept secrets in Australian Football was confirmed today with Indonesian  investment group – The Bakrie Group’ have obtained a majority ownership stake of 70% of the Brisbane Roar Football Club. The remaining 30% will be held by the Football Federation Australia in the interim period while futher minority owners are sought. The Bakrie group is headed up by Abruzial Bakrie, a 64 year old busiessman born in Indonesia, worth a reported 2.5 billion dollars (US) and has a minority stake in Npower Championship side Leicester City aswell as many other business interests. Perhaps we could see some sort of link between the 2 clubs similar to that of the link between Central Coast Mariners and Sheffield United? Interestingly, Deli Tahir- the clubs new Chaiman- is also a member of the imfamous Fifa Ethics Committe, alongside long time SBS broadcaster Les Murray.

Aburizal Bakrie

A few quotes from the announcement

Ben Buckley: Football Federation Austalia Chief Execuative:

“We have been working extremely hard to find the right investors for last year’s premiers and we believe we have found fantastic new owners in the Bakrie Group,” Buckley said.

“They have a strong background in football through ownership of several other clubs and their interests are in line with our outlook for the Roar.

“Our main priorities were to find investors that would not only provide the club with long-term security but also give the club the best opportunity for continued success.

“It is an exciting time for football in Australia and shows the growing international recognition of the Hyundai A-League and its future growth prospects.”

Pelita Jaya Cronus President Aga Bakrie:

“We are delighted, and honoured, to be the new owners of Brisbane Roar, an exceptional team and a successful club supported by a passionate community,” he said.

“This commitment is for the long term, and an opportunity to not only support the growth of football in Brisbane, but to also strengthen ties between Australia and Indonesia.

“We have a strong track record of investing in football and we will support the club as it seeks to grow.

“Our vision is to make Brisbane Roar Australia’s most successful professional football club.”

Hopefully the new owners is a dawn of a new era for football in Brisbane and the club, with some good investment within the club in the near future, but more on that next week. For now, we Roar supporters have a big match to look foward to in about 26 hours time.

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s