Match Preview: Lions FC vs Brisbane Roar- Preseason 2013Posted: July 15, 2013
After what seems like the longest off-season ever, Brisbane Roar are back in action tomorrow night as they begin their 2013 Roar Preseason Roadshow against BPL side Lions FC. Brisbane haven’t played Lions much in recent pre-seasons, however they will be retuning to their old training base- however there isn’t a player or coaching staff member remaining from those days.
Brisbane have been training now for about 4-6 weeks and there’s not been too much noise coming out from the club apart from the transfer activity. In come Diogo Ferreira, Dimitri Petratos and Liam Miller, out go Massimo Murdocca, Mitch Nichols and Massimo Murdocca amongst others. There have been reports of trialists at training, however none of them have signed to date.
In contrast to the Roar, Lions are 2/3 of the way through their 2013 Brisbane Premier League campaign and after 16 matches they sit top of the table losing just once (to Pen Power a couple of weeks back). At the weekend they had a 5-0 win on the Road against North Star. In terms of players of note- German Jura Gros –who spent some time training with the Roar- looms as the biggest threat for the Lions.
Brisbane Roar squad:
*Bit of a guestimate, however the following are all expected to be unavailable:
– Thomas Broich, Liam Miller, Michael Theo and Besart Berisha are all in Sydney for the All-Stars fixture against Manchester United.
– Ivan Franjic and Jade North have both spent the past couple of weeks in camp with the Socceroos in preparation for the East Asian Cup. My understanding is they’re still in camp.
– Do Dong-Hyun, while still a contracted player at the club, has been told not to return to Brisbane and is believed to be home in South Korea.
Manager: Mike Mulvey
Goalkeepers: 20) Matt Acton, Fraser Chalmers (NYL Keeper), Nicholas Tubbs (NYL Keeper)
Defenders: 2) Matt Smith, 3) Shane Stefanutto, 15) James Donachie, 19) Jack Hingert, 26) Corey Brown., Lachlan Jackson (NYL)
Midfielders: 12) Julius Doe, 14) Diogo Ferreira, 18) Luke Brattan, 25) George Lambadaridis, Ben Liftin (Full-time NYL), Patrick Theodore (NYL)
Attackers: 10) Henrique, 23) Dimitri Petratos, 29) Kwame Yeboah (Full-time NYL), Brandon Borrello (NYL)
Lions FC squad:
Manager: Graham Ross
Goalkeepers: 1) Douglas Blaikie, 99) Phil Zabakas
Defenders: 2) Danny Ngaluafe, 3) Jason Tobin, 4) Matija Simic, 5) Sam Campbell, 17) Pablo Aviles.
Midfielders: 6) Brodie Kenyon, 8) Kentaro Ishikawa, 11) Jura Gros, 12) Shaun Carlos, 14) Joel Congre, 15) Tomoya Kadoma,??) Marius Kalubi, ??)Kwangmook Lim,??) Te Hyon Lee
Forwards: 7) Andrew Butler, 9) Luke Haydon, 10) Greg Thomas, 19) Shoheel Khan.
*Squad taken from Lions vs. Peninsula Power programme- 30-06-2013.
What to expect:
It’s difficult to tell what we can expect from this one, given it is the first game of the pre-season and at this stage it’s more about fitness than the football in truth. There are a couple of interesting reasons to watch this match however:
– If Mulvey is planning on making changes to the playing style, we may see the beginnings of that tomorrow night – certainly we saw them from day 1 against Brisbane City in 2010 in Ange’s 1st pre-season fixture.
– Matt Smith and Jack Hingert have spent the off-season rehabbing from hip and ankle injuries respectively and tomorrow could mark their return to the squad. From what I’ve seen they were yet to rejoin football activities at training and have just been doing running, so there’s a chance they won’t be risked.
– It’s a first opportunity to see Diogo Ferreira and Dimitri Petratos in a Brisbane jersey, and a first chance to see how they potentially fit into the plans this season.
– With six players out due to representative honours, it gives an opportunity for people to see what some of the young players in the squad have to offer such as Acton, Liftin and Yeboah. It also gives fringe first teamers a chance to press their claims ahead of the new season, and also gives a couple of last seasons NYL squad the opportunity to press for a first team contract.
Kickoff is 7.00pm at Lions Stadium, Richlands with gates opening at 4.30. There’ll be a host of stuff for kids to do, and entry is $5 for adults $3 for concessions and u/16’s are free.