Controversial penalty gives City the win.


Melbourne City (1) Mooy 49’ (p.k)
Brisbane Roar (0)
at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Brisbane: Young, Bowles, North, Smith, Brown, Petratos, Brattan, McKay, Borrello, Kurtishi, Henrique.
Substitutions: Sarota for Borrello (62’), Solórzano for Kurtishi (67’), Lustica for Brattan (77’).
Unused Substitutes: Acton, Donachie.
Yellow Cards: Brattan.
Red Cards: Nil.

Melbourne: Velaphi, Hoffman, Chapman, Kisnorbo, Garuccio, Paartalu, Melling, Mooy, Brown, Duff, Dugandzic.
Substitutions: Williams for Duff (46’), Ramsay for Brown (76’), Murdocca for Melling (83’).
Unused Substitutes: Redmayne, Wielaert.
Yellow Cards: Garuccio.
Red Cards: Nil.

Brisbane have lost their first game of the Frans Thijssen era this afternoon, with a second half penalty for Aaron Mooy the difference between the two sides.

The games defining moment arrived three minutes into the second half when Mate Dugandzic got goal side of Daniel Bowles, and after what was minimal contact he went down and the referee awarded the penalty. It was definitely on the soft side, but Aaron Mooy sent Jamie Young the wrong way to open the scoring.

There weren’t many chances in the game for either side before or after that, with Matt McKay having Brisbane’s best two chances. The first he put over the bar, while minutes later he hit the crossbar. City’s best chance aside of the goal was a shot for David Williams which he put wide of the post. The rest of the efforts on goal for both sides went high or wide of the target.

Brisbane’s play at times was reasonable, but in general they struggled to play through the lines, particularly in the second half after the goal. Thijssen tried to change things by bringing Solórzano on to hold the ball up, but Brisbane struggled to get a foot hold in the game.  Up next Brisbane have the third of their four straight away games on Friday night as they head to Adelaide.

Match Stats:
bandicam 2014-12-07 21-43-43-337

Elsewhere this afternoon there was a win for the W-League side who rounded out a disappointing campaign with a 3-1 win over Western Sydney. First half goals from Katrina Gorry and Tameka Butt, along with a late third from Sunny Franco were enough to get the win for the visitors. The game was haltered twice in the first half due to storms down in Sydney, something which has to be a first –certainly in this country-. That was the ladies final game of the season, up next for the girls will be a long off-season, punctuated by game time overseas for the majority, along with the promise of being apart of next years World Cup.

Finally this weekend, the National Youth League side have continued their solid form this year with a 2-0 win down in Canberra. An early goal from inform midfielder Devante Clut, and a second from Stephen O’Neill was enough to get the win over the FFA Centre of Excellence. Up next for the youth side is a home game against Newcastle.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s